- Choose a number between 1 and 100;
- Go to your local bookshop or library;
- Go to the genre section that you prefer to read in (optional);
- Starting from the first book in that section count along the books until you have reached your chosen number from before;
- Choose said book and take it to the counter for purchase/loan;
- Go and read it!
- The book is one you've read before;
- The book is number three in a series and you haven't read the previous ones.
I've done this and came across Broken Angels by Richard Morgan which I would never have picked up before. Really enjoyed it and quite enjoyed the randomness of finding a book; almost like going on a blind date. To really spice it up don't restrict yourself to a genre.
I'd love to hear from others who try this out and what books they came across; good and bad!
I'm going to plug this on Twitter with the hashtag #readingroulette and it would be great if others could share.